Thursday, October 14, 2010

Singing for Joy!

The rescued miners and all the people of Chile certainly had reason to celebrate after all 33 were brought safely to the surface. But I noticed something more in the rejoicing... some underlying energy... a sense of unity that likely was there even before the miners became trapped underground.

First of all the country has its own jacket! :-)

Seriously though, they also have their National Anthem. All countries have an anthem. But this anthem was sung with such enormous power, that I was in awe as I watched and listened to President Pinera, Luis Urzua, and the others sing. Every word was sung with emotion, definition, and punch!  What incredible unison. I believe I may have held my breath until the song was over.

I witnessed similar singing of the National Anthem when I was in Mexico last month. Admittedly not quite as much passion as the Chileans were feeling as they celebrated 33 saved lives. But even then, it was very stirring.

Americans certainly united during the 9/11 attacks. However, I’ve never seen a group of Americans sing our National Anthem with the energy and gusto as the group who stood at the San Jose Mine last night!

Even though many Mexicans and Chileans struggle and work long and hard for low wages, there is a strong sense of unity and pride for their cultures. And it’s apparent in their celebrating... and their SINGING!  I’m glad to have “been there.”

singing for country
from the heart of a nation
to ears of the world
--haiku by ric

No comments:

Post a Comment