Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mexico - Pyramids at Xochicalco

Mexico is awesome... so much more to it than most of us realize. Since my daughter and her family live here, I got a really good inside look at the culture... and the landscape! The people here are amazingly gracious and kind. The landscape varies from desert to jungle, plains to forest, cactus and pine trees grow together, there's clean and dirty, modern and old... and speaking of OLD, it took my breath away to have my feet on the ground of these Mayan ruins!
Absolutely incredible views from the top.  Actually it took us a long time to get to the top.  We thought we were there right away, but kept finding a higher place to go.  







I thought at first it was a "nice little village," but later learned it was an entire CITY!  We just kept finding new places.  We walked for over 3 hours... making one new discovery after another.  There were two soccer fields and one game field!


Sometimes it was just a little vignette that we stopped to enjoy. 

And some surprises... while we were stopping to take a break from walking, sitting in these ruins likely some 2,000 years old, my son-in-law, Daniel, got a call on his cell phone!
We were overcome with the idea of who had been there before us and were constantly awed that we were standing and walking in this place where 20,000 Mayans had lived and had built these structures, so perfectly designed for specific purposes.


 
   
My daughter, Jill, and I with the pyramid behind us.  We had no idea at the time how long we were going to be there and how much there was to see!  
Just a little trek on top of a Mayan pyramid... you know, the kind of thing I do most everyday. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment