Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Cochran Rat

Yikes!  When I see this thing, a blood-curdling scream can often be heard.  But it's actually not necessary to scream... it's NOT a real rat!  Ric bought this rat last year for Halloween.  It looks soooooooo real, that it used to scare me to death.  I couldn't stand for it to be anywhere near me.  Ric and my granddaughter, Tierra, used to chase me with the thing and put it in places where I didn't expect to see it.  My screams were followed by their roaring laughter!

I hadn't seen the rat for a long time, and then about 3 months ago, I found it behind the sofa when I was cleaning.  Screamed, of course... but Ric wasn't home to hear me.  So... I hid it in one of his shoes.  Next thing I knew I was screaming again, because it showed up in one of MY shoes.  So I hid it in the drawer in the bathroom where he keeps his razor and stuff.  A few days later, I pulled a jacket out of the closet and the rat fell out.  For a long time, we never spoke about the rat... it just kept showing up in different places, one of us waiting to hear the other one screech.  Ric was hardly ever startled to see the rat, but it continued to freak me out for quite a while.  Now, I no longer scream, unless of course, I haven't seen the darn thing for a while.  It's always been my goal to really, really, really scare Ric.  And a few weeks ago, I got him gooooooooooooood!  I was downstairs in the family room and heard Ric actually scream!  And curse, and jump around!  When he opened his closet door, hanging by its tail from the chain to turn on the light... was the Cochran Rat with it's beady little eyes staring right at him!

Ric and I have come to believe that probably every relationship needs a "rat"... whether it's a stuffed rat or a fuzzy bunny, a favorite photo, or a rock - anything that's significant to the relationship in some meaningful or goofy way.  The point is to have a "playful" thing happening in your lives... some silly little thing that keeps you giggling... even if one of you is screaming. 

3 comments:

  1. Got Ric two days in a row! Yesterday he put his hand in the drawer in the bathroom, and instead of grabbing his razor, he grabbed a rat! This morning, he left his jacket lying around instead of hanging it up like a good boy... so when he picked it up the rat fell on the floor at his feet! He admitted to being startled and cursing both times. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on a roll. Hid the rat behind the raisin bread in the kitchen cupboard. So when Ric went to make his morning toast... yikes! I've never been so delighted to be called bad names.

    However, the joke may be on me. Ric says, "Miss Jeanne K, the game has now moved to a new level." I'm nervous. We did agree early on never to hide the rat in the bed or the kitchen. I did break the rule. But really... it's a stuffed rat. It's not REAL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I open my desk drawer at WORK today, and there is the RAT! Yikes!!! How did it get there? Aha! Apparently our little game has taken a new turn... accomplices are now allowed! Got me good today, Ric... but now you better beware...

    ReplyDelete